Michihamono Japanese Wood Carving Tool Micro 1.5mm Straight Woodcarving U Gouge, with Wooden Handle, to Carve Details in Woodworking
This straight gouge for wood carving produces very fine grooves and channels for creating designs on wood such as fur, hair, and other decorative lines.
This very fine wood carving U gouge, from Michihamono of Japan, is made from Blue Paper Steel (Aogami) No.2, that has been professionally sharpened to ensure it is ready to use right out of the package. The shank has been embedded deeply into a Japanese cypress handle ergonomically designed to make it more comfortable to use and will last for a long time.
This tool is used for making smooth and precise decorative details on wood, where extra detail is required, such as for hair lines, or fine features. It can also be used as an alternative to a parting tool but creates a more softer outline than a v-tool can.
Approximate Dimensions & Product Data:
- Blade Material: Blue Paper Steel (Aogami) No.2
- Blade Width: 1.5mm
- Handle Material: Japanese Cypress Wood
- Handle Length: 180mm
Please note: The blade edge is sharp, keep out of the reach of children. Store without the blade contacting any hard surface to avoid dulling the cutting edge.
Photos with background grids are measured in millimetres, with each square representing one square millimetre.
Please keep in mind that this quality wood carving tool features an extremely fine, detailed blade that should only be handled with great caution. Please follow the guidelines below to avoid breaking or bending the blade.
- This tool should not be struck with any object, such as a mallet when cutting wood,
- Do not attempt to remove large amounts of wood per stroke. Trim or shave only a small amount of wood from your project at a time using multiple small strokes,
- Do not use this tool to penetrate the wood any more than the thickness of the blade,
- Never use the blade of this tool as a lever to remove wood,
- Cutting strokes should be only vertical (i.e., up or down), with minimal pressure applied,
- Horizontal shearing force, in any axis, should never be applied.