Michihamono Premium Wood Carving Micro 1.5mm 60 Degree V Gouge Parting Tool with High Speed Steel to Carve Grooves & Channels in Woodworking
This tool has a long, extendible blade that can be adjusted out from the handle after it has been worn down from sharpening far longer than competing tools. Excellent value for money.
We are delighted to introduce the incredible Michihamono Japanese Premium Wood Carving Tool 1.5mm 60° V Gouge Parting Tool. This wood carving tool is not only an excellent choice for woodblock carving (Mogu Hanga) and general wood carving, but it also features an extendible blade, allowing for reuse after grounding it down due to multiple sharpening, up to three times compared to similar tools: an assurance that it will last for long.
This professional tool will be a great value for money!
To adjust the blade after it has been ground down: start by using pliers to remove the bolster from the handle gently and then pivot the handle's top half using the hinge pin until you fully expose the blade and shank. Free the shank from the wood by lifting the blade directly upwards to remove it from the handle then sharpen it using a whetstone before replacing it back to the handle channel while ensuring the hook sits back on its original location. You can also opt to move the blade to a higher position if it has already been ground down. It is important that you carry out your increments one centimetre apart to prevent the creation of too many anchor points, which might weaken the tool. Do not use any adhesive or lubricant as the handle provides enough friction to hold the blade in place or you stand to affect the tool's functioning. Prevent the hook from being deformed by keeping any pressure away from the front of the blade. In the case that you come up with a deformed hook, contact the manufacturer for a replacement. Expect this tool to last for a little under twice the exposed amount when purchased even after the blade has been worn out by taking proper use and care of it. .
Approximate dimensions for this wood carving tool include:
- Handle length (not including bolster): 9cm
- Handle width (widest point): 1.5cm
- Handle width (narrowest point): 1.0cm
- Bolster length: 1.8cm
The background grid in the picture is in square millimetres.
Please keep in mind that this quality wood carving tool features an extremely fine, detailed blade that should only be handled with great caution. Please follow the guidelines below to avoid breaking or bending the blade.
- This tool should not be struck with any object, such as a mallet when cutting wood,
- Do not attempt to remove large amounts of wood per stroke. Trim or shave only a small amount of wood from your project at a time using multiple small strokes,
- Do not use this tool to penetrate the wood any more than the thickness of the blade,
- Never use the blade of this tool as a lever to remove wood,
- Cutting strokes should be only vertical (i.e., up or down), with minimal pressure applied,
- Horizontal shearing force, in any axis, should never be applied.