Michihamono Woodworking Woodblock Printing Tool Small 1.5mm Wood Carving U Gouge
This tool has a long, extendible blade that can be adjusted out from the handle after it has been worn down from sharpening far longer than competing tools. Excellent value for money.
This extremely high quality wood carving tool is not only excellent for wood block carving (Mogu Hanga) and general wood carving, but has a blade that can be adjusted within the handle. This means the exceptionally long blade can be placed further up the handle as it is ground down after multiple sharpenings, meaning that this tool will outlast similar tools for many years.
U gouge wood carving tools are excellent way to remove large amounts of wood, making channels or 'flutes', finishing as well as general carving. However, this small sized gouge is great for intricate and detailed designs.
Carve wood with ease with this professional quality tool that's also excellent value for money!
To adjust the blade, simply remove the bolster gently from the handle with pliers or similar implements and pivot the top half of the handle on the hinge pin until the blade and shank is fully exposed. Remove the blade and shank from the handle by lifting it directly upwards, freeing the shank hook from the wood. Sharpen your blade on a suitable whet stone. Replace the blade into the handle channel either with the hook placed in the original hole it was unseated from, or move the blade to a higher position in the handle as the blade is ground down. Please note the blade should be moved up the handle in one centimetre increments to prevent too many anchor points in the wood being made, which may weaken it. The handle will compress the blade providing friction which should help keep it in place, adhesives or lubricants are not recommended as this may affect the functioning of the tool. To prevent hook deformation, excessive backwards pressure should not be exerted on the front of the blade, should the hook become deformed and no long hold the blade in place and cannot be corrected, please contact the manufacturer for a replacement. With proper use and care, this tool should still be able to perform after the blade has been worn down by a little under twice the amount that is exposed from the end of the bolster when first purchased.
- Handle length (not including bolster): 9cm
- Handle width (widest point): 1.5cm
- Handle width (narrowest point): 1.0cm
- Bolster length: 1.8cm
The background grid in the picture is in square millimetres.
Please keep in mind that this quality wood carving tool features an extremely fine, detailed blade that should only be handled with great caution. Please follow the guidelines below to avoid breaking or bending the blade.
- This tool should not be struck with any object, such as a mallet when cutting wood,
- Do not attempt to remove large amounts of wood per stroke. Trim or shave only a small amount of wood from your project at a time using multiple small strokes,
- Do not use this tool to penetrate the wood any more than the thickness of the blade,
- Never use the blade of this tool as a lever to remove wood,
- Cutting strokes should be only vertical (i.e., up or down), with minimal pressure applied,
- Horizontal shearing force, in any axis, should never be applied.